This article explains how to add or change the Office 365 licenses that are assigned to a user profile.
Follow these steps to assign licenses or change the assigned licenses on Office 365 user profiles.
1) Log in to the customer-level admin portal at portal.office.com.
2) From the Dashboard, click Assign user licenses.
3) Select the checkbox next to the appropriate user(s).
You can either assign licenses to one user at a time, or to many users in bulk. Click the appropriate link here to see instructions for each method. Note that if you change assigned licenses for more than one user at once, all users must be assigned the same license type. If you need to assign different licenses to different users, you will need to do them in separate batches.
Changing licenses assigned to a single user
Follow these steps to change the license(s) that are assigned to a single user.
1) Select the user you want to change. You will see the assigned license information in the user details pane on the right-hand side.
2) Click Edit to change that user’s licenses.
3) The next screen displays how many of each subscription type are available to assign to that user. Select the appropriate license option and click SAVE.
The newly assigned license is now displayed in the user information pane.
Changing licenses assigned to multiple users in bulk
Follow these steps to update multiple users.
1) Select all of the appropriate users and click EDIT on the right-hand side.
2) If there are no changes required to the profile details and settings, click Next until you see the assigned licenses page.
3) Select Replace existing license assignments or Add to existing license assignments, then select the license type to assign. Note that the license(s) you select will be assigned to all of the users you selected in step 1.
4) The results page displays the status of the changes. If they are all Complete, click Finish.
After a few moments, the new licenses will be assigned to the selected users.